Affinity Plus Credit Union
Free Checking Account
Affinity Plus Credit Union is an NCUA credit union. National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) is a U.S. government agency. What this means is that your deposits are federally insured to at least $250,000 and back by the full faith and credit of the United States Government.
Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union was founded in 1930 under the name, State Capital Credit Union (SCCU). They were established to serve member working in St. Paul, Minnesota. Within six years, eligibility expanded to include state employees working in Minneapolis and South St. Paul. Since then, eligibility has expanded to open membership to as many people as possible. The name was officially changed to Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union in 1998 to reflect its broader service area. Today, Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union has 27 branch office locations throughout Minnesota, tens of thousands of ATMs across the U.S., and Online Banking access from anywhere in the world.
Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union has a Free Checking account offer that you can take advantage of. Affinity Plus offers a free checking account with no hidden fees for services such as speaking with a person, payroll deposits, minimum balance fees, printing a statement, transferring money between accounts and more. Affinity Plus offers most of those services for free and when there is a fee required for a service, they let you know upfront, what they charge.
Affinity Plus Free Checking Account Benefits:
- No minimum balance
- No monthly fees
- No Affinity Plus ATM fees
- Free foreign ATMs
- No requirements
All Affinity Plus Checking Accounts Include:
- Free Visa Debit and ATM Cards (available on the spot at all Affinity Plus locations)
- Overdraft Protection (available from any savings account and/or line of credit)
- Automatic Bill Pay
- e-Bill Pay (not available with business accounts)
- Free Global Online Banking (allows you to check the status of you banking account, verify balances, transfer funds, pay bills, etc.)
- Free e-statements (allows you to review your balances safely online)
- Fee Bank-by-Phone (allows you to check the status of your bank account, verify balances, transfer funds, etc. via your phone)
- Participation Rewards Program (allows you to earn rewards for deposits, withdrawals, and debit card activity, as well as member referrals, length of membership, and then use your points to increase investment rates, decrease loan rates, utilize free services, or reduce fees)
- Simply Free Perks (includes free cashier’s checks, starter checks, check images, money orders, traveler’s checks, and coin counting services)
- Stash Your Cash (enroll your Affinity Plus Debit Card in Stash Your Cash and round your debit card purchases to the nearest whole dollar and transfer the money automatically to a savings account. The combined amount will be transferred at the end of each business day to help you save towards your savings goals)
- Member Messages (set up email reminders to alert you to your balance, incoming deposits, or cleared checks – all for free directly through Access Plus Online Banking)
- Free Annual Credit Report & Review (ongoing access to your credit scores and a free financial assessment through partnership with an Affinity Plus representative)
There are six ways that you can become eligible to join Affinity Plus. You, a family member or a household member must:
- be an employee of the State of Minnesota, the University of Minnesota or any organization that receives funding from the State of Minnesota (including most schools, community colleges, private and public universities, nursing homes and hospitals, counties, cities, municipalities and nonprofit groups)
- or be a member of the University of Minnesota Alumni Association, a student in the Minnesota State University System or an alumnus of the Minnesota State University System
- or live, work or worship in Roseville, Arden Hills, Mounds View, Shoreview, St. Anthony or New Brighton
- or be a Minnesota Twins employee or a family member of a Minnesota Twins employee
- or be a relative or housemate of any eligible person or current member
- or make a one-time, $25 life-time dues payment to the Affinity Plus Foundation
The terms and conditions of Affinity Federal Credit Union’s Free Checking Account are subject to change at any time. Please contact your local Affinity Plus representative for additional information.